Relationships sustain us.
They also complicate our lives.
They can make us feel happy, sad, upset, safe, and much more.
For those who have lived with ambiguous loss, relationships can be particularly confusing when they don’t work and especially uplifting when they do.
Ambiguous losses—those that are uncertain or unclear—show up in both predictable and unexpected ways. They are part of the lives of families touched by foster care, adoption, incarceration, mental illness, addiction, military service, and infertility—to name a few.
We hope this collage will help to capture the complexity and enormous variation of experiences that grow from ambiguous loss.
We’ve designed this collaborative collage to reflect the full range of the community interested in uncertain loss. The contributions can be as varied as the experiences of the individuals. We invite you to be creative and to use a form that best suits your ideas.
Chronic physical or mental illness
Person with an idea or experience to share
We hope you will bring your creativity to this forum so that others--both inside and outside foster care--can come to a fuller understanding and appreciation of this community. You might consider
- A photograph
- A story
- A video
- A poem
- A drawing
- A song
- A memory
- A dance
- A lesson
- A play
- A suggestion
- A wish
Instructions: We suggest that you keep submissions brief. A 1-2 minute video is likely to get more attention than a longer one. In general, written material should be under 500 words. High-resolution photos (300 DPI) look better than those in low resolution. If you want to grab and keep people’s attention, make it easy for them! When you are ready to submit your contribution to the Fostering Relationships Collaborative Collage, click the Submit button to upload your materials. By doing so, you agree to the terms and conditions set forth below. All submissions become the property of A Home Within. (See “Terms and Conditions” for a full explanation.) A Home Within is under no obligation to post any submission and retains full control over placement of materials.
Web Site Terms and Conditions of Use
1. TermsBy accessing this web site, you are agreeing to be bound by these web site Terms and Conditions of Use, all applicable laws and regulations, and agree that you are responsible for compliance with any applicable local laws. If you do not agree with any of these terms, you are prohibited from using or accessing this site. The materials contained in this web site are protected by applicable copyright and trade mark law.
2. Use License
- Permission is granted to temporarily download one copy of the materials
(information or software) on A Home Within’s web site for personal,
non-commercial transitory viewing only. This is the grant of a license,
not a transfer of title, and under this license you may not:
- modify or copy the materials;
- use the materials for any commercial purpose, or for any public display (commercial or non-commercial);
- attempt to decompile or reverse engineer any software contained on A Home Within’s web site;
- remove any copyright or other proprietary notations from the materials; or
- transfer the materials to another person or “mirror” the materials on any other server.
- This license shall automatically terminate if you violate any of these restrictions and may be terminated by A Home Within at any time. Upon terminating your viewing of these materials or upon the termination of this license, you must destroy any downloaded materials in your possession whether in electronic or printed format.
- The materials on A Home Within’s web site are provided “as is”. A Home Within makes no warranties, expressed or implied, and hereby disclaims and negates all other warranties, including without limitation, implied warranties or conditions of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, or non-infringement of intellectual property or other violation of rights. Further, A Home Within does not warrant or make any representations concerning the accuracy, likely results, or reliability of the use of the materials on its Internet web site or otherwise relating to such materials or on any sites linked to this site.
4. LimitationsIn no event shall A Home Within or its suppliers be liable for any damages (including, without limitation, damages for loss of data or profit, or due to business interruption,) arising out of the use or inability to use the materials on A Home Within’s Internet site, even if A Home Within or a A Home Within authorized representative has been notified orally or in writing of the possibility of such damage. Because some jurisdictions do not allow limitations on implied warranties, or limitations of liability for consequential or incidental damages, these limitations may not apply to you.
5. Revisions and ErrataThe materials appearing on A Home Within’s web site could include technical, typographical, or photographic errors. A Home Within does not warrant that any of the materials on its web site are accurate, complete, or current. A Home Within may make changes to the materials contained on its web site at any time without notice. A Home Within does not, however, make any commitment to update the materials.
6. LinksA Home Within has not reviewed all of the sites linked to its Internet web site and is not responsible for the contents of any such linked site. The inclusion of any link does not imply endorsement by A Home Within of the site. Use of any such linked web site is at the user’s own risk.
8. Governing LawAny claim relating to A Home Within’s web site shall be governed by the laws of the State of California without regard to its conflict of law provisions. General Terms and Conditions applicable to Use of a Web Site.
- Before or at the time of collecting personal information, we will identify the purposes for which information is being collected.
- We will collect and use of personal information solely with the objective of fulfilling those purposes specified by us and for other compatible purposes, unless we obtain the consent of the individual concerned or as required by law.
- We will only retain personal information as long as necessary for the fulfillment of those purposes.
- We will collect personal information by lawful and fair means and, where appropriate, with the knowledge or consent of the individual concerned.
- Personal data should be relevant to the purposes for which it is to be used, and, to the extent necessary for those purposes, should be accurate, complete, and up-to-date.
- We will protect personal information by reasonable security safeguards against loss or theft, as well as unauthorized access, disclosure, copying, use or modification.
- We will make readily available to customers information about our policies and practices relating to the management of personal information.